This is the ultimate comfort food version of meatloaf that is vegan, gluten free and paleo friendly with tons of flavors.
Saute onion, celery and carrots with olive oil. Transfer to a large bowl.
Add the rest of the ingredients for the meatball to the sautéed vegetable mixture. Mix gently but thoroughly with your hands until everything is well incorporated.
Place the mixture on the prepared baking sheet and form into a free standing loaf about 10 inches long and 5 inches wide.
Bake the meatloaf in the oven for 45 minutes. Glaze the loaf twice at 25 minutes and 35 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillon cubes
- 8 ounces mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 can of light or dark red kidney beans*, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup roasted bell peppers & chipotle
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup ketchup* (for Paleo style see note below)
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 cup Panko crumbs* (use almond meal for gluten-free or see note below for more crunchy alternative)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten or vegan egg replacer, Ener-G or other
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup ketchup* (for Paleo style see note below)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (for Gluten-Free use tamari soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon tabasco-chipotle sauce
1- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add onion, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add bouillon cubes and stir until dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
3- Pulse the beans in a food processor until the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed.
4- Add the mashed beans, mushroom, roasted bell peppers & chipotle, walnuts, ketchup, mustard, panko crumbs, eggs, garlic, thyme, and crushed red pepper (optional) to the sautéed vegetable mixture. Mix gently but thoroughly with your hands until everything is well incorporated. Allow mixture to rest in the fridge for 10 minutes.
5- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper, spray with cooking spray. Place the mixture on the prepared baking sheet and form into a free standing loaf about 10 inches long and 5 inches wide.
6- Make the glaze: add ketchup, honey, soy sauce and tabasco & chipotle in a mixing bowl. Stir together. Set it aside.
7- Bake the meatloaf in the oven for 25 minutes. Spread half of the glaze evenly over top and return loaf to the oven for another 10 minutes, then pour another 1/2 of the glaze over the top. Bake for the final 10 minutes.
8- Let meatloaf rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
* For strict Paleo style you can substitute beans with block of tofu or tempeh.
* Ketchup substitute for strict Paleo: mix 1 cup tomato sauce, 1/4 cup honey and 2 tablespoons vinegar in a small bowl. Use as needed for the recipe.
* For crunchy gluten free alternative for Panko crumbs take few slices of gluten free bread, cut them in cubes, tossed them with a tablespoon olive oil and teaspoon of minced garlic. Baked them for 10 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven until nice and golden brown. Crumbed them in the blender or food processor. Work great to replace the Panko crumbs in most recipes!
’m a mother, daughter, mother-in-law and wife, who likes to create things as often as possible. Creating recipes, doing makeover recipes, creating simple and easy centerpiece, creating web design, logos, fliers and so on … I use my blog to share with you my recipes that I went through a lot of trial cooking before I came up with the extreme makeover dish that is healthy and tasty. To change this standard text, you have to enter some information about your self in the Dashboard -> Users -> Your Profile box. Read more from this author