Thanksgiving is the perfect time to teach your kids about being thankful. For past two years I have printed the following and posted on my refrigerator so everytime someone open the door they could see it:
• If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep … you are richer than 75% of people in this world.
• If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace … you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealthy.
• If you woke up this morning with more health than illness … you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.
• If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation…you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.
• If you hold up your head with a smile on your face and are truly thankful … you are blessed because the majority can, but most do not.
• If you can hold someone’s hand, hug them or even touch them on the shoulder … you are blessed because you can offer healing touch.
• If you can read this message, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read at all.
This year I’m going to Give everyone a piece of paper and ask them to write something they are thankful for, fold it and place it in a basket without putting their name on it.
When everyone is seated, pass the basket and have everyone take a note out. Ask each person to read the note they picked from the basket. This would make us to stop, look and listen – and be thankful.
To my friends and families, have a safe and very Happy Thanksgiving.