This is a beautiful, healthy salad with good taste, plus protein and essential vitamins and minerals. Lentils and sunflower seeds in this salad add a nutty flavor and provides extra health benefits.
Can be adjusted to your personal liking by switching the types of nuts or cheese that you prefer. Great for a summer picnic or BBQ.
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and sliced (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups cooked lentils*
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (for Vegan and Paleo use soy-based feta cheese)
- ½ cup toasted sunflower seeds
For Lime Vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1- Whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside to let flavors meld.
2- Add the kale and lentils to a large bowl and gently toss to combine.
3- Pour the dressing over the kale and lentils and toss to coat. Add the crumbled feta cheese and sunflower seeds, toss gently. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
4- Garnish with the Lime Wedges.
* To cook the lentils, place one cup lentils in a small saucepan with 2 1/2 cups water to cover them. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat, and let the lentils simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but not mushy. Stirring occasionally and adding more water as necessary. Add a pinch of salt in the last five minutes and strain the lentils. Then rinse under cold running water, and cool completely. (Tip: don’t add salt until the end. Adding the salt too early can makes the lentils tough).
’m a mother, daughter, mother-in-law and wife, who likes to create things as often as possible. Creating recipes, doing makeover recipes, creating simple and easy centerpiece, creating web design, logos, fliers and so on … I use my blog to share with you my recipes that I went through a lot of trial cooking before I came up with the extreme makeover dish that is healthy and tasty. To change this standard text, you have to enter some information about your self in the Dashboard -> Users -> Your Profile box. Read more from this author