This Moroccan stew is a great comfort food with just the right amount of heat. The recipe is very versatile, you can add any kind of veggies and adjust the spice to your liking. I served this delicious stew over pearl couscous with sun-dried tomato and parsley.
Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil, add the chicken pieces or garbanzo beans (for vegan and vegetarian style), sauté for few more minutes, stir in the rest of the ingredients except the stock and cook for 4-5 more minutes, add the stock and cook for 25-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the sauce is thickened.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb chicken breast, cut up in bite size pieces (use can of garbanzo beans for Vegan and Vegetarian style) *
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flour (for Gluten-Free and Paleo style substitute with 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch at the end)
- 1/2 lb parsnip, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup chopped prunes
- ½ cup chopped dried apricot
- 3 cups chicken stock (use water or vegetable stock for Vegan and Vegetarian style) *
1- Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil for a couple of minutes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add the chicken pieces or garbanzo beans (for vegan and vegetarian style), salt and pepper sauté for 2-4 more minutes.
2- Stir in the rest of the ingredients except the chicken/vegetable stock and mix the whole thing well, cook 4 to 5 minutes more.
3- Add chicken/vegetable stock or water and bring it to boil. Lower the heat to medium and cover; cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the sauce is thickened. (Add the cornstarch paste if using cornstarch for thickening). Taste, and adjust for salt.
* Omit the chicken and chicken stock for Vegan and Vegetarian style.
* To use cornstarch for thickening, add an equal amount of cornstarch and cold water to a small bowl and stir until a smooth paste forms. Whisk into the stew, bring to a boil and simmer for just a minute or so.
’m a mother, daughter, mother-in-law and wife, who likes to create things as often as possible. Creating recipes, doing makeover recipes, creating simple and easy centerpiece, creating web design, logos, fliers and so on … I use my blog to share with you my recipes that I went through a lot of trial cooking before I came up with the extreme makeover dish that is healthy and tasty. To change this standard text, you have to enter some information about your self in the Dashboard -> Users -> Your Profile box. Read more from this author